From the entrance to the present Dover College (Grade II*) part of the remains of St. Martin’s Priory, dating from 1130, can be seen, including the gatehouse and strangers’ house. The small Benedictine community, was closed by Henry VIII in 1535. Some of the buildings were then plundered for their stone and for many years what remained was a farm. The boundary wall is built of flint and medieval masonry rescued from the ruins. The 100 foot long former refectory, now the college hall, is a most impressive example of Norman architecture and can be seen from Effingham Street. The great priory church, some 300 feet long extended into the present surrounding streets.