The half mile long Prince of Wales Pier (Grade II) was built between 1893 and 1902. In 1977 the Hoverport was built on the west side and operated a regular service to Calais until 2005. A 19th century clock tower and former lifeboat station are by the pier entrance. Tramsatlantic liners en route from Europe to the USA berthed at the pier in the early 19th century served by a railway that ran along the pier.
The pier will largely disappear from view when incorporated in the Western Docks Cargo Terminal development.