Set back behind the town’s war memorial is Maison Dieu House (Grade II*) built in 1665 as the office of the Agent Victualler of the Navy. The impressive staircase inside, with turned balusters, is contemporary with the building. In 1834 it became the residence of the commander of the Royal Engineers in Dover before becoming a private residence. Bought by the Dover Corporation in 1899, the house became council offices until after the Second World War when it became the public library. It now houses Dover Town Council.