At the end of the 7th century King Withred of Kent moved priests from the castle to a monastery on the west side of the present square. When William the Conqueror invaded England in 1066 he marched on Dover and burnt it. The Normans rebuilt the monastery and the splendid church of St Martin Le Grand replaced the Saxon building. The church, cruciform in plan, had three apsidal chapels at the east end. In 1131 the Canons were turned out, probably on a pretext, and St. Martin Le Grand became the church of three parishes. Its destruction began at the Reformation. More was pulled down in 1881. The remains can be seen by walking between the Museum and Barclays Bank and up the steps or ramp.