The parish church of St. Mary the Virgin (Grade II*), mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086. The two lower stages of the very fine tower are early Norman dating from c.1100 and the three upper stages later Norman, c.1150, displaying lovely relief carving. Note the 17th century sundial on the south face. Unfortunately, from 1843-1844 much of the medieval building was demolished as the foundations had become unsafe because of the number of burials in the church and it was rebuilt in Victorian Gothic style. Some Norman pillars and arches survive. The font is Norman and two Gothic arches and pillars survive on the north side of the chancel. There is a memorial window to the victims of the Zeebrugge ferry disaster in 1987. Remains of a Roman building lie under the west end.