Before looking round Market Square look left along Castle Street to see a fine view of Dover Castle’s keep built in 1180 by Henry II. In Roman times the shore line and quay were a little to the east of the square. The estuary of the Dour was then much wider. One of the Roman lighthouses, the Pharos, can be seen from the town on the Eastern Heights inside the castle grounds. The later Roman Fort of the Saxon Shore (c.270-400) was one of a series built from The Wash to the Isle of Wight to protect the coast against Saxon pirates. In Dover it covered an area which included the square and the earlier Classis Britannica Roman fort. In the 7th century a community of secular Canons was established in the Castle.